Here’s the CASE for Propane: Clean, Abundant, Safe, Efficient
Propane has become the fuel of choice for many people because it is one of the most versatile fuels around. This clean, American-made energy source can be used to power appliances inside and outside your home — safely and efficiently. And there’s plenty of propane to go around because of abundant supplies!
- Propane is one of the cleanest carbon-based fuels.
- The average propane-powered home reduces carbon dioxide emissions by nearly 30% compared to all-electric homes.
- Direct use of propane for space heating, water heating, cooking and drying clothes reduces greenhouse gas emissions up to 50%.
- Because propane is nontoxic and doesn’t pose a threat to soil and water (above or below ground), it is not regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- All of the propane consumed in the U.S. is produced in North America.
- Supply is so abundant that, every year, our country exports 10 billion gallons — that’s enough to power four million fleet vehicles or 12 million homes.
- Every gallon of propane you buy contributes to America’s energy independence.
- Having a propane tank on your property gives you the ability to store an adequate supply that’s always ready for immediate use; you are not dependent on natural gas pipelines, which are often so old and undersized that they cause supply concerns during periods of cold weather and high demand.
Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration and U.S. Department of Commerce.
- The National Fire Protection Association enforces strict rules about propane handling, so few accidents occur each year.
- Propane is nontoxic, so tanks can be safely installed underground.
- Compared with other fuels, propane is much less combustible. When combined with air, the source of ignition must be at least 940º— twice as hot as what’s required to ignite gasoline.
- We make efforts to ensure that all of our equipment is up to date and carefully maintained. We also make a sincere commitment to training so that our employees know precisely how to deliver your fuel safely — and know what to do in case of a leak or other emergency.
- Propane appliances typically reduce energy costs, delivering better value and comfort than other heating sources.
- Propane is more efficient than electricity when evaluating the total energy consumed (this includes the energy that’s needed for the extraction, production, processing and transportation of the fuel to the point of use). Based on this analysis, propane is 87% efficient; electricity is 32% efficient.
- With a clean-burning, high-efficiency propane furnace, less than 10% of fuel is wasted in the combustion process. In comparison, more than two-thirds of the energy used by a power plant to generate and transmit electricity is wasted.