Comfort and Savings: Finding Your Balance
This is the time of year when you want to make wise choices to stay comfortable while you keep your energy costs under control. Here are some tips to help you.
4 Propane Upgrades to Consider
Balance out your comfort and savings throughout the year with these four suggestions for propane upgrades.
- Install a propane fireplace or propane log set. Vented propane hearths give you all the benefits of wood fireplaces without the smoke, mess or cleanup — and at a fraction of the installation cost — no chimney required!
- Warm up to a propane space heater. Do you have rooms that are drafty and cold? Do you do a lot of work in your garage? Vented propane gas space heaters are easy to install, incredibly efficient and extremely safe. They also burn cleaner, with fewer emissions compared to electric and fuel oil space heaters.
- Upgrade to a new propane furnace. Propane gas furnaces are best in their class in terms of efficiency, with ratings from 90 to 98% efficient. A propane furnace can provide affordable warmth and comfort for any size floor plan, from small residences to large custom homes.
- Go tankless. Swap out your old electric tank water heater for an innovative tankless propane unit. You’ll cut down on your water heating bills and enjoy a virtually endless supply of hot water.
Propane for a More Efficient Home
How much do you know about propane and its energy-efficient appliances? Here are some facts that may surprise you.
- Propane appliances typically reduce energy costs, delivering better value and comfort than other heating sources.
- Propane burns hotter and more efficiently than many other energy sources.
- Propane heats water quickly and efficiently for your shower and bath, as well as for your dishwasher, washing machine and pool. Whether you choose a propane storage tank water heater or a propane tankless water heater, you’ll feel the difference compared with less efficient electric water heaters.
- Propane is more efficient than electricity when you evaluate the total energy consumed, including the energy used in the extraction, production, processing and transportation of the fuel to the point of use. Based on this analysis, propane is 87% efficient and electricity is 32% efficient.
Put your Comfort on Automatic
Many of our propane customers get scheduled deliveries. They never have to call us for fuel because we carefully track their fuel usage and then make a delivery before their tank gets low. Automatic delivery does not cost anything extra!
This system works for most customers if usage is consistent, but there are exceptions, especially for customers who use propane appliances at their discretion, such as fireplaces, space heaters and pool heaters.
In cases like this, we ask that you call us for a delivery when your propane tank gauge reaches 30%. This will give us plenty of time to get more fuel to you. And if you start using a lot more or less fuel than you did last year, please call and let us know.
We want to make sure you’re getting the most out of your propane appliances. Here are a few tips on how to keep everything running safely and efficiently in your home.
- Keep the area around your propane equipment as clean and clutter free as possible. Never store anything flammable near your appliances.
- Change or clean the filter in your furnace about once a month. Dust and dirt are the natural enemies of your furnace; a dirty filter compromises efficiency and can even result in a shutdown.
- If you ever smell gas, leave your home right away. Report the problem from another location as quickly as possible.
- Install carbon monoxide (CO) detectors in your home. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions about location and maintenance.
- After a severe storm, carefully check your property for downed power lines, damaged gas lines or damage to your propane tank. Contact us to report any damage.