Outdoor grilling safety reminders
Memorial Day 2019 is fast approaching – which means it’s time to get your propane grill in shape for the upcoming outdoor cooking season!
Just remember to always grill safely. Here are some propane grill safety reminders for your holiday weekend and beyond:
- Before using a propane gas grill, check the connection between the tank and the fuel line, and check hoses for cracks, leaks, or damage.
- Clean your propane grill regularly; leftover grease causes about one in five grill fires – more than any other factor.
- Keep your grill at least five feet from obstructions, including trees, outdoor furniture, and your house.
- Keep the grill stable on a flat surface so it can’t be tipped over.
- Never grill in enclosed areas, where deadly carbon monoxide can accumulate.
- Keep a fire extinguisher available, and make sure it works!
- Never leave a grill unattended.
- Never use a grill if your starter is broken (consider buying a grill with an automatic starter, rather than one with a button starter that can become difficult to push. Contact us to learn more about your options)
- Always cover the grill to avoid to corroding and rusting the controls and gas line.
- Take care when grilling high-fat food, which can produce high flames; use long-handled barbecue utensils to avoid burns.
- Keep your grill instructions and owners manual handy; always follow your manufacturer’s directions.
- Always store propane cylinders outdoors in their vertical position.
- When you’re transporting your tank for a refill, place it upright in your car and out of direct sunlight, and make sure the valve is closed. Go straight to the refilling station – don’t leave a tank alone in the vehicle, where temperatures can rise quickly!
- Always check replacement tanks for dents, rust, or leaks.
- Never attempt to repair a tank valve or grill yourself – contact Parker Gas for help
Don’t have a propane gas grill? What are you waiting for! Contact Parker Gas today to learn about some great portable and built in grill options from Wilmington Grill, Green Egg, The Holland Grill, and more. And if you need a refill for your propane cylinder, we can help you there, too: We provide quick and easy, no-wait portable propane tank fill-ups at all of our locations in the Smithfield, Newton Grove, Fayetteville, Wilmington, Mt. Olive, and Clinton areas of North Carolina.