What is propane used for in homes?
There are many reasons that make propane great for home use – its efficiency, environmental friendliness, and exemplary safety record, to name three. But one of the most compelling reasons to convert your North Carolina home to propane is its incredible versatility.
Simply put, when it comes to powering appliances, propane is not just a jack-of-all-trades – it’s a master of them, too. From heating your home to heating your pool, propane can do it all.
A versatile, valuable home fuel
Let’s take a closer look at the many propane appliances and other propane-powered equipment you can use inside, and outside, your NC home:
- Furnaces and wall/space heaters – Install a propane space heater or furnace and you can kiss chilly evenings at home goodbye. Unlike an electric heat pump, propane produces a steady flow of warm air where and when you need it – and it will do it with efficiency ratings reaching into the upper 90s!
- Stoves, ovens, and cooktops – More than nine (9) out of 10 professional chefs cook with gas, and for some pretty good reasons: for one, you get precision temperature control that no electric cooktop can match. For another, your food will cook more evenly, whether on your stovetop, or in your oven.
- Indoor propane hearths (fireplaces, fireplace inserts, log sets and stoves) With a propane hearth you’ll get real flames – not the blinking lights you get with an electric fireplace. And you’ll get those flames at the push of a button, so no more wood gathering or ash-sweeping. Propane hearths or four to five times more efficient than their wood-burning counterparts, too – so if you’re using your indoor fire feature as a heat source, powering it with propane is a no-brainer.
- Clothes dryers – A propane clothes dryer gets hot quickly and heats clothes evenly, and as a result costs about half what an electric dryer costs to operate. Propane dryers also cause less wear and tear on your clothes.
- Water heaters – Propane water heaters typically recover water twice as quickly as electric models, yet they cost up to 30 percent less to operate. Upgrade to a tankless propane water heater and that energy savings number can jump as high as 50 percent (!) compared to a conventional electric water heater.
- Outdoor living equipment – From propane torches and portable or built-in gas grills to fire bowls, fire pits and fire tables, propane can take your outdoor entertainment up a notch. And with propane pool heaters and patio heaters, you could extend that entertainment season by as much as a month or more.
- Whole house generators – When the power goes out, you won’t miss a beat with a whole-house power generator. It will keep your home heating or cooling system, sump pump, refrigerator, sump pump, and other vital equipment running until the grid comes back up.
How else can you benefit from propane? Let’s find out together. Contact Parker Gas to learn more about propane conversions and expert propane appliance installation and maintenance in our North Carolina service area.